The Reality of This World
The realisation that this world is one of deception and distraction...distraction from the goal of the hereafter. A reminder that we often give preference to this (temporary) world over the ever-living joy of the Paradise.
Everyone shall taste death. And only on the Day of Resurrection shall you be paid your wages in full. And whoever is removed away from the Fire and admitted to Paradise, he indeed is successful. The life of this world is only the enjoyment of deception (a deceiving thing).
[Sūrah Āli-ʿImrān, 3:185]
A khuṭbah descriibng the worldly life in opposition to the afterlife:
- What is the meaning of 'ad-dunyā' (worldly life)?
- The love of this world and its travesty
- Seeking in the dunyā instead of seeking the hereafter
- The sacrifice of the Prophet (ṣallallāhu ʿalayhi wa-sallam) for the herafter
- The sacrifice of the Companions (raḍī Allāhu ʿʿʿanhum) for the hereater
- Holding onto wealth, possessions that will decay, instead of giving in the path of Allāh
- How to escape the trials of this world? Sticking to the Sunnah of the Prophet (ṣallallāhu ʿalayhi wa-sallam) in every regard
- If a person is safe in the grave, what comes after will be easier, if he is not safe in the grave, what comes after will be worse
The khuṭbah ends with a recollection of the advice of Imām Ibn Bāz (raḥimahullāh) to Muslim minorities (like those in the West).