Lowering the Gaze
Our brother, Abū ʿUways (raḥimahullāh), gives a short khuṭbah on lowering the gaze and protecting oneself from falling into sin.
Allāh tabāraka wa taʿāla has ordered us to do certain things and has forbidden us from certain things. That which he has ordred us to do, we must do as much of it as we are able to do, and that which we are forbidden from doing, we are not to do it at all.
- "Say to the believing men that they must lower their gaze" (24:30)
- "Say to the believing women thay should lower their gaze" (24:31)
- "Verily the hearing, the sight and the heart, about all these matters you will be asked about" (17:36)
Do we eavesdrop on peoples' conversations? Do we listen to backbiting? Do we look at the thing we are forbidden to look at?
- "He knows the deceit of the eyes and what is hidden in the hearts" (40:19)
- "Verily your lord is ever watchful" (89:14)
Abū Hurayrah (may Allāh be pleased with him) said: The Prophet (ṣalla Allāhu ʿalayhi wa-sallam) said, "Allāh has written the very portion of Zināʾ which a man will indulge in. There will be no escape from it.
- The Zināʾ of the eyes is to look at that which is forbidden
- The Zināʾ of the ears is to listen to that which is forbidden
- The Zināʾ of the tongue is illicit forbidden speech
- The Zināʾ of the hand is to touch that which is forbidden to touch
- The Zināʾ of the feet is to walk to wards that
- The heart yearns and desires and the private parts approve all that or disapprove it.
(Al-Bukhārī and Muslim)
If you dont look, you won't see it, if you dont see it you won't desire, if you don't desire, you won't seek to make contact. It all starts with the glance.
It is narrated from Abū Saʿīd (radhī Allāhuʿʿʿanhu) that Allāh's Messenger (ṣalla Allāhu ʿalayhi wa-sallam) said: "Beware of sitting in the pathways." They said: "O Messenger of Allāh, we have necessities which we address in our gatherings." He replied: "If you must have your gatherings, then give the road its right." They said: "O Messenger of Allāh, and what is the right of the road?" He said:
- Lowering the gaze
- Refraining from harm
- Returning the salām
- Commanding good and Forbidding evil
(Al-Buhārī and Muslim)