Popular @troid.org

Topic-icon Extension Activity - Ibrāhīm worshipped the Sun?

• moosaa.richardson
  • moosaa.richardson's Avatar Topic Author
More
9 years 8 months ago #1264 by moosaa.richardson
Extension Activity - Ibrāhīm worshipped the Sun? was created by moosaa.richardson
as-salāmu 'alaykum. I invite advanced students to participate in the following extension activity for class #5.

We will need to begin:

1) The verses quoted from the Qur'aan (Arabic and English) that seem to indicate that Ibrāhīm took the Sun and the Moon as his Lord.

2) The verses from the Qur'aan that free Ibrāhīm of having been a polytheist. (one of them was mentioned in class #5)

3) A few brief quotes from the scholars about the status of the prophets, and the issue of them possibly falling into sins (major or minor, specifically shirk). Specifically focusing on the issue of committing shirk before prophethood.

4) The statements of the scholars of tafsīr (whatever is easy for you to gather) on the verses, specifically related to the statement "Haathaa rabbee" from #1 above.

We'll see how far the initial stage of the research goes, and then we'll take it from there, in shaa' Allaah.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• AbdurRahman.Meda
  • Jadīd Boarder
  • Jadīd Boarder
More
9 years 8 months ago #1275 by AbdurRahman.Meda
Replied by AbdurRahman.Meda on topic Re:Extension Activity - Ibrāhīm worshipped the Sun?
[1]: The verses quoted from the Qur'aan (Arabic and English) that seem to indicate that Ibrāhīm took the Sun and the Moon as his Lord.

فَلَمَّا رَأَى الْقَمَرَ بَازِغًا قَالَ هَـذَا رَبِّي فَلَمَّا أَفَلَ قَالَ لَئِن لَّمْ يَهْدِنِي رَبِّي لأكُونَنَّ مِنَ الْقَوْمِ الضَّالِّينَ
When he saw the moon rising up, he said: "This is my lord." But when it set, he said: "Unless my Lord guides me, I shall surely be among the erring people." (Al-An'am 6:77)

فَلَمَّا رَأَى الشَّمْسَ بَازِغَةً قَالَ هَـذَا رَبِّي هَـذَا أَكْبَرُ فَلَمَّا أَفَلَتْ قَالَ يَا قَوْمِ إِنِّي بَرِيءٌ مِّمَّا تُشْرِكُونَ
When he saw the sun rising up, he said: "This is my lord. This is greater." But when it set, he said: "O my people! I am indeed free from all that you join as partners in worship with Allâh. (Al-An'am 6:78)

• AbdurRahman.Meda
  • Jadīd Boarder
  • Jadīd Boarder
More
9 years 8 months ago #1276 by AbdurRahman.Meda
Replied by AbdurRahman.Meda on topic Re: Extension Activity - Ibrāhīm worshipped the Sun?
Ibn Kathir explanation of the verses in the category [1]
i.e (Al-An'am 6:77) and (Al-An'am 6:78)

He then explained to them the error and deviation of worshipping the seven planets, which they said were the Moon, Mercury, Venus, the Sun, Mars, Jupiter and Saturn. The brightest of these objects and the most honored to them was the Sun, the Moon then Venus. Ibrahim, may Allah's peace and blessings be on him, first proved that Venus is not worthy of being worshipped, for it is subservient to a term and course appointed that it does not defy, nor swerving right or left. Venus does not have any say in its affairs, for it is only a heavenly object that Allah created and made bright out of His wisdom. Venus rises from the east and sets in the west where it disappears from sight. This rotation is repeated the next night, and so forth. Such an object is not worthy of being a god. Ibrahim then went on to mention the Moon in the same manner in which he mentioned Venus, and then the Sun. When he proved that these three objects were not gods, although they are the brightest objects the eyes can see,

(he said: "O my people! I am indeed free from all that you join as partners in worship with Allah.'') meaning, I am free from worshipping these objects and from taking them as protectors. Therefore, if they are indeed gods as you claim, then all of you bring your plot against me and do not give me respite.

More
9 years 8 months ago - 9 years 8 months ago #1281 by h_elsharif
reposting:

Verses for part 1:

And (remember) when Ibrâhim (Abraham) said to his father Azar: "Do you take idols as âlihâ (gods)? Verily, I see you and your people in manifest error." (Al-An'am 6:74)

Thus did we show Ibrâhim (Abraham) the kingdom of the heavens and the earth that he be one of those who have Faith with certainty. (Al-An'am 6:75)

When the night covered him over with darkness he saw a star. He said: "This is my lord." But when it set, he said: "I like not those that set." (Al-An'am 6:76)

When he saw the moon rising up, he said: "This is my lord." But when it set, he said: "Unless my Lord guides me, I shall surely be among the erring people." (Al-An'am 6:77)

When he saw the sun rising up, he said: "This is my lord. This is greater." But when it set, he said: "O my people! I am indeed free from all that you join as partners in worship with Allâh. (Al-An'am 6:78)

my comment: I wasn't able to access tafsīr on this issue, but I recall from a previous lecture from Abūl Abbās that Prophet Ibrāhīm, 'alayhis-salām, said "This is my lord," in a manner to show how absurd the statements of the polytheists were. Ibrāhīm, 'alayhis-salām, was never of the polytheists.

I say it is similar to what Ibrāhīm stated when addressing his people after he broke the idols of the pagans, except for the biggest idol:

They said: "Are you the one who has done this to our gods, O Ibrâhim (Abraham)?" (Al-Anbiya 21:62)

(Ibrâhim (Abraham)) said: "Nay, this one, the biggest of them (idols) did it. Ask them, if they can speak!" (Al-Anbiya 21:63)
Last edit: 9 years 8 months ago by h_elsharif. Reason: correcting images

More
9 years 8 months ago #1284 by h_elsharif
I can't seem to get the arabic text to show up regardless of the page encoding I set my browswer to.

The arabic appears as as jumbled numbers and symbols.

More
9 years 8 months ago #1287 by abumaryam
Bismillah Wal Hamdulillah Was Ṣalātu Was Salaam Ala RasulAllah

When the night covered him over with darkness he saw a star. He said: "This is my lord." But when it set, he said: "I like not those that set." (Al-An'am 6:76)

Verily, Ibrâhim (Abraham) was an Ummah (a leader having all the good righteous qualities), or a nation, obedient to Allâh, Hanifa (i.e. to worship none but Allâh), and he was not one of those who were Al-Mushrikûn (polytheists, idolaters, disbelievers in the Oneness of Allâh, and those who joined partners with Allâh). (An-Nahl 16:120)

(He was) thankful for His (Allâh's) Graces. He (Allâh) chose him (as an intimate friend) and guided him to a Straight Path (Islâmic Monotheism, neither Judaism nor Christianity). (An-Nahl 16:121)

Then, We have inspired you (O Muhammad SAW saying): "Follow the religion of Ibrâhim (Abraham) Hanifa (Islâmic Monotheism - to worship none but Allâh) and he was not of the Mushrikûn (polytheists, idolaters, disbelievers, etc.). (An-Nahl 16:123)

Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah (may Allaah have mercy on him) said in Majmoo’ al-Fataawa, 4/319:
The view that the Prophets are infallible and protected against committing major sins, as opposed to minor sins, is the view of the majority of Muslim scholars and of all groups. It is also the view of the scholars of tafsīr and ḥadīth and fuqaha’. Indeed, nothing has been narrated from any of the salaf, imams, Sahaabah, Taabi’een and those who followed them except that which is in accordance with this view.

With regard to whether it is possible for the Prophets to commit minor sins, in Lawaami’ al-Anwaar al-Bahiyyah (2/214), al-Safaareeni quoted from Ibn Hamdaan who said in Nihaayat al-Mubtadi’een: “They are infallible in conveying the commands and message of Allaah, but they are not infallible in any other regard. They may make mistakes, forget things, or commit minor sins – according to the most well-known opinion (of the scholars) – but they will not be approved for these mistakes.”

Commentary from Tafsīr As-Saadi

When the night became dark, he saw a planet. Possibly a shiny star, because it was specifically chosen which tells us that it is more shiny than others. That's why some said it was Venus (Allah knows best).
He said this is my lord as a compromise for the sake of argument (i.e. lets assume that this is my lord). Which means, this is my lord so lets see whether it's worthy of lordship? Will there be an evidence of that? That's because a wise person should not take his desire as his god without a proof or an evidence.
Then when this planet (star) disappeared, he said I dislike those that disappear. That's because the one that is worshiped must sustain and fulfill the needs of his servants. But as for the one that disappears for some time, how would he be worthy of worship? And isn't taking him as a god the most foolish thing of all foolish things? Isn't it the most false thing of all falsehood?

Then when he saw the moon up, he saw the brightness of it exceeding the brightness of the planet (star) and that it's different from it. He said this is my lord as a compromise for the sake of argument (i.e. lets assume that this is my lord). Then when it disappeared, he said if my lord did not guide me I will from among the misguided people. Here he showed the greatest need of his lord's guidance. He knew that if Allah did not guide him, then no one will guide him. And that if Allah did not help him to his worship and to submitting to him, no one will.

At-Tabari 11:480 Qatadah commented, “Ibrahim knew that his Lord is Eternal and never ceases”.

Moderators: moosaa.richardson
Time to create page: 0.218 seconds