Popular @troid.org

Topic-icon Question: Is evil eye caused only by jealousy?

• h_elsharif
  • h_elsharif's Avatar Topic Author
  • Maʿrūf Boarder
  • Maʿrūf Boarder
More
9 years 8 months ago #1273 by h_elsharif
Assalāmu alaikum,

Since the affliction of evil eye is mentioned in a narration in Chapter 3, I wanted to ask is evil eye only caused by jealousy or are there other causes?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 7 months ago #1438 by Karima238
Assalamu alaykum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh,
I just wanted to add a question to this topic.
Can evil eye be caused by making a statement with no intention? meaning, for example if someone were to say "that person is very tall", with no intention, can this be a cause for evil eye, although it was not said out of jealousy, or out of praising that quality of the persons?

JazakaAllahu Khair.

More
9 years 6 months ago #1441 by umm_Ibraheem
Replied by umm_Ibraheem on topic Re: Question: Is evil eye caused only by jealousy?
Assalāmu 'alaykum wa rahmatullaahi wa barakaatuh...

Sister Karima I hope that this will help to answer your question Inshaa Allaah….I read this in the book called “Hasad: A Condemnation of Envy and Envious People” By: Imām ibn al-Qayyim al-Jawziyyah, on page 2 it says:
“…The human eye in itself has no affect on another. If a person were to look at someone else, heedlessly, just as he or she would look at the ground or a mountain, their look would have no effect. But when a spiteful soul becomes angry and then that person aims their look at someone, their evil eye affects the envied according to the degree of their weakness and the strength of the envier…”

And I hope that these parts (which are also taken from the same book) will help to answer brother Husayn’s question:

From Page 3:
“An envious person and a person possessing the evil eye are similar in one respect, but differ in another. They both generate evil within their souls and then aim it at their intended targets. The soul of the evil eye spawns its poison in the presence or absence of their object.

The difference between the two is the evil eye can afflict an animal, inanimate object, money or possessions of someone the eye’s bearer does not envy. And sometimes, if the carrier of the eye has only scratched the surface in their struggle to remove envy from their soul, their envy will revert back to them. Without a doubt, whenever this individual fixes their eyes on something, their look is a glaring glance of admiration, coupled with their soul’s sowing of ill-will intended to afflict the object of their envy.”

From Page 6:
“…On occasion, a person’s envy can be sparked by their admiration of (someone or) something else. It occurs when the onlooker looks at an object with arrogance or an admiring eye. The envier’s soul starts to generate certain feelings – ill feelings – that affect the eye, they admire their object and then the harm is released…”

From Page 8:
“…The underlying meaning in these Aḥadīth is that the one harboring the evil eye possesses a special kind of envy. He or she is more dangerous than a mere envious person is. For this reason and Allaah knows best, the words “the envious one” is mentioned in the Surat (al-Falaq: 5), instead of “the one with the evil eye.” Because the statement, “the envious one” is more inclusive: everyone who has an evil eye, unavoidably, carries envy. However, not everyone who harbors envy has an evil eye; therefore, seeking refuge from the evil of envy includes seeking refuge from the Evil Eye also... “

(I only took sections from the chapter that I thought would answer the question, instead of typing out the whole chapter that talks about this, if it’s needed I can type out the Aḥadīth mentioned in the last part Inshaa Allaah)

wassalāmu 'alaykum wa rahmatullaahi wa barakaatuh

It is reported that Abu al-Dardaa(may allaah be pleased with him) said: "You will never be pious (a person of taqwa)until you become knowledgeable, and you will never be beautiful with your knowledge until you act (by it)." [Ibn 'Abd al-Barr, Jami' Bayaan al-'Ilm wa Fadihi']

More
9 years 6 months ago #1446 by Karima238
Walaikum assalam wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh,

Jazakillahu Khair for typing that up, it really helped to clarify the issue. Does the book give any further explanation regarding "evil eye from a good heart"?

More
9 years 6 months ago - 9 years 6 months ago #1451 by umm_Ibraheem
Replied by umm_Ibraheem on topic Re: Question: Is evil eye caused only by jealousy?
ameen wa iyyaki sis...yeah the book talks about a person who envies people but the person just wishes to enjoy the same good fate of the one he/she envies...and they don't wish for the person to lose their blessings from Allaah, rather they have love in their hearts for the person and they want Allaah to continue to bless them...and how the carrier of this type of envy is not included in the verse '...when he envies' (Surah al-Falaq)...Here is some of what it mentions:

From Page 16:
"Look at how Allaah restricts the occurrence of evil with His statement, 'when he envies'. Because sometimes people carry envy, but conceal it. In doing so, they might not cause any harm with their heart, tongue, or hands to anyone. Rather, this person treats their brother or sister in a manner that is pleasing to Allaah, in spite of these traces of envy within. Only a few, those who are protected by Allaah, are free from the effects of this evil.

It was said to Ḥasan al-Basri, "Does the believer carry envy?" He replied,"Have you forgotten the story of Yusuf and his brothers?"

"...As a result, they strive against this evil by forcing their soul to supplicate for the envied person, not against them. And in contrast to the harm their envious heart or limbs could inflict on the individual, they hope that Allaah increases the good of the envied."

From Page 17:
"...The third level of envy is hasad al-Ghibtah or to covet happiness.This person wishes to enjoy the same good fate that the envied party enjoys, but they have no desire to see that person lose their blessings from Allaah. There is no objection to this level of envy nor is the carrier condemned. But rather it is quite close to al-Munaafisah mentioned in al-Mutaffifeen:

"...and for this let (all those strive who want to strive." (al-Mutaffifeen: 26)

again, I only mentioned some parts...i'm not sure if the publishers would allow me to put up chapters of the book...but I hope that that will help to answer your question Inshaa Allaah

Also, I remember hearing brother Dawood Adīb talking about that in a lecture titled "What You Can't see Can Hurt You - The Jinn, Magic and the Evil Eye!!"

wassalāmu 'alaykum wa rahmatullaahi wa barakaatuh

It is reported that Abu al-Dardaa(may allaah be pleased with him) said: "You will never be pious (a person of taqwa)until you become knowledgeable, and you will never be beautiful with your knowledge until you act (by it)." [Ibn 'Abd al-Barr, Jami' Bayaan al-'Ilm wa Fadihi']
Last edit: 9 years 6 months ago by . Reason: youtube isn't good to promote

More
9 years 6 months ago #1453 by Karima238
Walaikum assalam wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh,

Again, Jazakillahu Khair for taking the time to type that up, and may Allah reward you for your efforts!

More
9 years 6 months ago #1455 by umm_Ibraheem
no problem sis...ameen wa iyyaki

• Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 6 months ago #1461 by

More
9 years 6 months ago #1467 by Karima238
JazakaAllahu Khair!

Moderators: moosaa.richardson
Time to create page: 0.219 seconds