Popular @troid.org

Topic-icon Taking an Oath by Other than Allaah: Lesser shirk?

• moosaa.richardson
  • moosaa.richardson's Avatar Topic Author
More
9 years 8 months ago #1317 by moosaa.richardson
Taking an Oath by Other than Allaah: Lesser shirk? was created by moosaa.richardson
When I was asked for an example of lesser shirk in class #7, I gave the example of: taking an oath by other than Allaah, for someone who does not revere the one he has sworn by as much as he reveres Allaah.

In support of this understanding, below are the words of Shaykh Ibn 'Uthaymīn - may Allaah have Mercy on him - on the topic (in Arabic):

www.ibnothaimeen.com/all/noor/article_1326.shtml

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 8 months ago #1318 by Abu Zayd
Assalamu 'Allaykum,

Jazakallâh khayr for that beneficial link. However, I have heard that the hadith which the Shaykh relies upon is not authentic.

al-Bayhaqi says that Sa'ad b. 'Ubayda who is in the chain of this hadith did not hear from Ibn 'Umar?

To add to your point, al-Bukhari also has a section with the heading:

باب من حلف بملة سوى ملة الإسلام وقال النبي صلى الله عليه وسلم من حلف باللات والعزى فليقل لا إله إلا الله ولم ينسبه إلى الكفر
[/b][/b]

Chapter: taking oath on other religion than al-Islâm and the Nabî sallalahu alayhi wa salam said 'whoever takes an oath on al-Lat and al-'Uzâ, let him say, La Ilaha Ila Laah, and that he did not call him a kâfir.
6277 حدثنا معلى بن أسد حدثنا وهيب عن أيوب عن أبي قلابة عن ثابت بن الضحاك قال قال النبي صلى الله عليه وسلم من حلف بغير ملة الإسلام فهو كما قال قال ومن قتل نفسه بشيء عذب به في نار جهنم ولعن المؤمن كقتله ومن رمى مؤمنا بكفر فهو كقتله

It was narrated to us by Mu'allâ b. Asad from Wuhayb from Ayyûb from Abî Qillaba from b. Dahhâk who said that the messenger of Allâh sallalahu alayhi wa salam said:

"whoever takes an oath on other than the religion of al-Islâm he is as he has stated. And whoever kills himself with a thing he will be punished with it in fire of Jahanam. Cursing a Mu'min is similar to killing him, and whoever accuses a Mu'min of kufr it is as if he has killed him."

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: moosaa.richardson
Time to create page: 0.199 seconds