Topic-icon Important Discussion about Class Recordings

• moosaa.richardson
  • moosaa.richardson's Avatar Topic Author
More
9 years 7 months ago #1404 by moosaa.richardson
Important Discussion about Class Recordings was created by moosaa.richardson
www.salafitalk.net/st/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=12158

For discussion:
How has the availability of the recordings affected your level of benefit from the clasees, honestly? (positively, negatively...?)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 7 months ago #1405 by Karima238
Replied by Karima238 on topic Re: Important Discussion about Class Recordings
Assalamu alaykum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh,
The class recordings are very helpful, even for those people who attend every single class, because in many cases one might miss a point or not be clear on a certain point, or the teacher was speaking too quickly and we didnt get the whole point down. Therefore to have the option of listening to the recording over again afterwards, helps clarify those things that we were unclear on. Also, it prevents students from asking the teacher to repeat things (that he said during the class) in the Q&A session.

More
9 years 7 months ago #1406 by h_elsharif
Replied by h_elsharif on topic Re:Important Discussion about Class Recordings
I have not used the recordings as of yet; however, if for example I have plans that mean I will not be able to attend a class, then I would use the recording.

More
9 years 7 months ago #1407 by Shyma
Personally, I've only used to recordings for when i'm unable to attend a lesson- so I can catch up in time for the next class.
Please continue to record the lessons. It also benefits those students who may not have heard about the classes yet, so when they join, they have the material availble for them to review.
Maybe make the recording available to those who request it if they give a valid reason e.g absence or illness. That way everyone who attends will be more attentive inshaa'Allaah.

More
9 years 7 months ago #1408 by Umm_Saaleh
Replied by Umm_Saaleh on topic Re:Important Discussion about Class Recordings
Assalamu 'Alaikum wa Rahmatullaahi wa Barakaatuhu

Having read your thread (Salafitalk) brother Mūsá, subhanAllaah I really do think the recordings are having a moderate negative effect on the level of benifit I am able to derive from the classes. It is crystal clear that the level of focus, concentration can be decreased amongst us students with recordings and transcripts.

However, at the same time I feel dissapointed that if I miss out on a setence or an important point that may not have been repeated that my notes will be incomplete! This can be a source of de-motivation as some students may feel to give up cause they can't write/type fast enough and are missing too much information?

With that said, I think the former negative affect outweighs the latter, as recordings were not available in the times of the Sahabah's!

But maybe a good idea to this, is that all recordings and transcriptions can be made available when we complete kitaab at-Tawḥīd inshaaAllaah? As a gift? As recordings and transcripts really are gifts for a student of knowledge maashaaAllaah! Or maybe after every 5 or 10 lessons? That way students have a point at which they can re-revise their notes and fill in the empty gaps? Just a suggestion.

BaarakAllahu feeka brother Mūsá.
Rahma Umm Saaleh

More
9 years 7 months ago #1409 by Khalil
I find it beneficial because many times I find it hard to attend the class at its appointed time. With the recordings made available it is much easier to sit down and benefit when I am free. The negative side of that is that I would have to ask my questions outside of class time which may be burdensome for the teacher.

May Allah accept from you Brother Mūsá and reward you the best of rewards.

More
9 years 7 months ago #1410 by mariampolga
Replied by mariampolga on topic Re:Important Discussion about Class Recordings
Assalamu alaikum wa rahmatullaht wa barakatuhu.

For me the recordings are important because english isn't my native language, so i'm able to check my notes if i couldn't understand or miss something. Also i once missed a class and it was very nice to be able to hear the recording. But i have to add that i'm old enough to have been educated in a pre-computer time, so it is almost impossible for me not taking notes.

For those that find difficult to take notes, i would like to say that it isn't easy first, but if you insist and train long enough, it becomes an habit and you will see the increase in your understanding and memorization, insha'Allah.

Brother Moosa and all the staff of TROID, jazaka'Allah khayr for this wonderful opportunity.

Umm Zahrah

umm zaharah al-baraziliyah

• troid.ca admin
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 7 months ago - 9 years 7 months ago #1411 by troid.ca admin
Replied by troid.ca admin on topic Re: Important Discussion about Class Recordings
Shyma Asghar wrote:

Personally, I've only used to recordings for when i'm unable to attend a lesson- so I can catch up in time for the next class.
Please continue to record the lessons. It also benefits those students who may not have heard about the classes yet, so when they join, they have the material availble for them to review.
Maybe make the recording available to those who request it if they give a valid reason e.g absence or illness. That way everyone who attends will be more attentive inshaa'Allaah.

Very good, however I think Abūl-'Abbās is referring to using a recorder whilst being present in the class and refraining from diligently taking notes. For those of us who existed before personal cassette recorders, this is standard practise (writing notes) but in the modern era, the mp3 recorder is the best thing since sliced bread. I have notes from lessons, and months later, I can recall many points or the odd proof, as for audios that I have just listened to, I would need to listen to them three or four times to get the benefit of one sitting with notes.
Last edit: 9 years 7 months ago by troid.ca admin.

More
9 years 7 months ago #1415 by Shyma
Thank you for the clarification.
A benefit from brother Mustafa George's class on Kitaab al Ilm was that he said that many of the Shuyook ( he mentioned Shaykh Abdullah al Ghadayaan Rahimahulla)-would NOT allow recordings of their classes because of the lack of concentration from the students. We should strive to practise good etiquettes whilst seeking knowledge for verily knowledge is not learnt except by etiquette!
*brother Mustafa George continues his classes on sundays on Wiziq

More
9 years 7 months ago #1437 by UmmAaliyah
Replied by UmmAaliyah on topic Re: Important Discussion about Class Recordings
as salāmu 'alaykum wa rahmatullaahi wa barakaatuh,

I just wanted to reply by saying that I am a new mother maashaa'Allaah trying to benefit when and where I can in between tending to my 5 month old. When the class first started I would attend the live class but found that I would barely be able to listen or take notes before needing to go care for my baby. I now rely on the recordings and use them to keep up with the class and am able to listen and take notes when I get some free time, alhamdulillaah.

I think it is the responsibility of the student to ensure they use the recordings for benefit and do not allow themselves to become lazy. I hope you will continue to make the recordings available for students like me who would otherwise be unable to benefit at all.

JazaakumAllaahu Khayr to Brother Mūsá and the Troid admin for their organization and dedication to this class.

Moderators: moosaa.richardson
Time to create page: 0.234 seconds

RT @GtownMasjid: Similarly, the Prophet sternly condemned this act of Shirk; in opposition to the approach of these politically orientated…

troid.org troid.org