The Conditions of Ṣalāh
Our noble brother outlines the conditions of ṣalāh alongside the explanation of our Shaykh, al- ͑Allāmah, Muḥammad ibn Ṣalīh al-ʿUthaymīn (raḥimahullāh), from al-Sharḥ al-Mumtiḥ.
Our brother delivers another most informative lecture concerning the conditions of al-Ṣalāh, beginning with the intention, and draws upon the explanations of our noble Shaykh Muḥammad ibn Ṣalih al Uthaymīn as well as Ibn Rajab al-Ḥanbalī (raḥimahumullāh). He relates the importance of understanding that the Nīyyah (the intention) for every act of worship is in the heart and not uttered upon the tongue, since this is considered an innovation in the religion which has no basis.
The conditions of al-Ṣalāh are nine:
- Al-Islām (It is a necessity for one to be a Muslim for any deed to be accepted)
- Al-ʿAql (Must be sane)
- Al-Tamyīz (Must have reached the age of understanding)
- Al-Raf al-ḥadath (Removal of impurities, i.e. with wuḍūʿ)
- Izālat al-Najāsa (Removal of impurities from body, clothes and place of al-Ṣalāh)
- Sitr al-͑Awrah (Covering of the ͑awrah)
- Dukhūl al-Waqt al-al-Ṣalāh (entrance of the time of prayer)
- Istiqbāl al-Qiblah (Facing the Qiblah)
- Nīyyah (Intention [in the heart, and not upon thetongue] to pray that specific al-Ṣalāh)