Community Cohesion from an Islamic Perspective (islaam.ca)
Our 3rd flyer project is an important one, especially in these times where the uprightness, justice and overall cohesiveness of the Muslim community is being challenged. Community Cohesion is a buzz term nowadays. Many non-Muslims have been presented a poor interpretation of Islamic values, one that suggests Muslims lack ethics and morals. Of course, this couldn't be further from the truth or further from the community growth that was spurned by the Prophet Muḥammad (ṣallallāhu ʿalayhi wa-sallam) and his Companions (raḍī Allāhu ʿʿʿanhum) - an Islamic society and legacy built upon upright moral character.
The flyer, authored by Ḥasan al-Ṣumālī discusses seven important topics:
- Islām Instructs Muslims to be Polite and Courteous
- Islām Teaches Muslims to Fulfil the Rights of their Neighbour
- Islām Condemns Racism
- Islām Teaches Muslims to Respect their Elders and Show Compassion to the Young
- Islām Encourages Muslims to keep their Neighbourhoods Habitable and Safe and to Show Consideration to Others
- Islām Forbids Crime and Criminality
- Islām Encourages Employment and Education
Muslims in the West find themselves in a pluralistic society made up of individuals of different races, ethnicities, and religions. It should be of no surprise that Islam has established definite and clear guidelines on how to co-exist with people of different persuasions and opinions.