Paradise and Hell-fire disputed together, and Hell-fire said: In me are the mighty and the haughty. Paradise said: In me are the weak and the poor. So Allāh judged between them, [saying]: You are Paradise, My mercy; through you I show mercy to those I wish. And you are Hell-fire, My punishment; through you I punish those I wish, and it is incumbent upon Me that each of you shall have its fill.
In the name of Allāh Most Beneficent Most Merciful
… In ramaḍān the gates of Hell are closed…
In ramaḍān Allāh has some `utaqqa’ (freed persons) from Hell…
What is this Hell that it is being told about so much ?…
Paradise and Hell had already been created and they exist now …
When Allāh created Paradise and Hell-fire, He sent Gabriel to Paradise, saying:
Look at it and at what I have prepared therein for its inhabitants. The
Prophet (sallá Allāhu ʿalayhi wa-sallam) said: So he came to it and looked at it and at what Allāh had
prepared therein for its inhabitants. The Prophet (sallá Allāhu ʿalayhi wa-sallam) said: So he returned
to Him and said: By your glory, no one hears of it without entering it. So He
ordered that it be encompassed by forms of hardship, and He said: Return to it
and look at what I have prepared therein for its inhabitants. The Prophet
(sallá Allāhu ʿalayhi wa-sallam) said: So he returned to it and found that it was encompassed by forms of
hardship. Then he returned to Him and said: By Your glory, I fear that no one
will enter it. He said: Go to Hell-fire and look at it and what I have prepared
therein for its inhabitants, and he found that it was in layers, one above the
other. Then he returned to Him and said: By Your glory, no one who hears of it
will enter it. So He ordered that it be encompassed by lusts. Then He said:
Return to it. And he returned to it and said: By Your glory, I am frightened
that no one will escape from entering it. [at-Tirmithi and al-Hakim among
Paradise and Hell Quarrel
The Prophet said, “Paradise and Hell (Fire) quarreled in the presence of
their Lord. Paradise said, ‘O Lord! What is wrong with me that only the poor
and humble people enter me ?’ Hell (Fire) said, I have been favored with the
arrogant people.’ So Allāh said to Paradise, ‘You are My Mercy,’ and said to
Hell, ‘You are My Punishment which I inflict upon whom I wish, and I shall fill
both of you.'” The Prophet added, “As for Paradise, (it will be filled with
good people) because Allāh does not wrong any of His created things, and He
creates for Hell (Fire) whomever He will, and they will be thrown into it, and
it will say thrice, ‘Is there any more, till Allāh (will put) His Foot over it
and it will become full and its sides will come close to each other and it will
say, ‘Qat! Qat! Qat! (Enough! Enough! Enough!). [Bukharī]
In Another Version of this Ḥadīth
Paradise and Hell-fire disputed together, and Hell-fire said: In me are the
mighty and the haughty. Paradise said: In me are the weak and the poor. So
Allāh judged between them, [saying]: You are Paradise, My mercy; through you
I show mercy to those I wish. And you are Hell-fire, My punishment; through
you I punish those I wish, and it is incumbent upon Me that each of you shall
have its fill.
A Dialogue Between the Dwellers of Hell and the Dwellers of Paradise
Sūrah: 7. al-Aʿrāf
36. But those who reject our signs and treat them with arrogance they are
companions of the fire to dwell therein (for ever).
37. Who is more unjust than one who invents a lie against Allāh or rejects his
signs? For such their portion appointed must reach them from the Book (of
decrees); until when Our messengers (of death) arrive and take their souls
they say: “where are the things that ye used to invoke besides Allāh?”
They will reply “they have left us in the lurch” and they will bear witness
against themselves that they had rejected Allāh.
38. He will say: “enter ye in the company of the peoples who passed away before
you men and Jinns into the fire. Every time a new people enters it curses
its sister-people (that went before) until they follow each other all into
the fire. Saith the last about the first: “Our Lord! it is these that
misled us: so give them a double penalty in the fire.” He will say:
“doubled for all”: but this Ye do not understand.
39. Then the first will say to the last: “see then! no advantage have ye over
us; so taste ye of the penalty for all that ye did!”
40. To those who reject Our signs and treat them with arrogance no opening will
there be of the gates of heaven nor will they enter the garden until the
camel can pass through the eye of the needle: such is Our reward for those
41. For them there is hell as a couch (below) and folds and folds of covering
above: such is Our requital of those who do wrong.
42. But those who believe and work righteousness no burden do We place on any
soul but that which it can bear they will be companions of the garden
therein to dwell (for ever).
43. And We shall remove from their hearts any lurking sense of injury; beneath
them will be rivers flowing; and they shall say: “Praise be to Allāh Who
hath guided us to this (felicity): never could we have found guidance had
it not been for the guidance of Allāh: indeed it was the truth that the
apostles of our Lord brought unto us.” And they Shall hear the cry:
“Behold! the garden before you! Ye have been made its inheritors for your
deeds (of righteousness).”
44. The companions of the garden will call out to the companions of the fire:
“We have indeed found the promises of our Lord to us true: have you also
found your Lord’s promises true?” They shall say “yes”; but a crier shall
proclaim between them: “the curse of Allāh is on the wrong- doers;
45. “Those who would hinder (men) from the path of Allāh and would seek in it
something crooked: they were those who Denied the Hereafter.”
46. Between them shall be a veil and on the heights will be men who would know
everyone by his marks: they will call out to the companions of the garden
“peace on you” they will not have entered but they will have an assurance
47. When their eyes shall be turned towards the companions of the fire they
will say: “Our Lord! send us not to the company of the wrong- doers.”
48. The men on the heights will call to certain men whom they will know from
their marks saying: “Of what profit to you were you hoards and your
49. “Behold! are these not the men whom you swore that Allāh with his mercy
would never bless? Enter ye the garden: no fear shall be on you nor shall
50. The companions of the fire will call to the companions of the garden; “pour
down to us water or anything that Allāh doth provide for your sustenance.”
They will say: “Both these things hath Allāh forbidden to those who
51. “Such as took their religion to be mere amusement and play and were
deceived by the life of the world.” That day shall We forget them as they
forgot the meeting of this day of theirs and as they were wont to reject
52. For We had certainly sent unto them a Book based on knowledge which We
explained in detail a guide and a mercy to all who believe.
What is Hell About?
Allāh Ta`ala describes Hell in the Qurʾān and His messenger, salla Allāhu
ʿalayhi wa-sallam, in the pure Sunnah
Anas ibn Malik relates: The Prophet (S) delivered before us a sermon the like
of which I had never heard form him before. In course of it he said: ‘If You
could know what I know, you would laugh little and weep much.’ Thereupon those
present covered their faces and began to sob loudly. [Bukharī and Muslim].
Another version says: Some reports from the companions reached the
Messenger of Allāh (S). He therefore addressed them and said: Heaven and Hell
were shown I have never seen the like of (the these two) till this day in good
and in evil. If you could know what I know, you would laugh little and weep
much. That was the hardest day for the companions of the Messenger of Allāh
(S). They covered their faces and started weeping loudly. [Bukharī & Muslim]
I. Hell described in al-Qurʾān
Sūrah: 2. al-Baqara
24. But if ye cannot and of a surety ye cannot then fear the fire whose fuel
is Men and Stones which is prepared for those who reject Faith.
167. And those who followed would say: “If only we had one more chance we
would clear ourselves of them as they have cleared themselves of us.” Thus
will Allāh show them (the fruits of) their deeds as (nothing but) regrets nor
will there be a way for them out of the fire.
Sūrah: 4. Sūrah al-Nisāʾ
10. Those who unjustly eat up the property of orphans eat up a fire into their
own bodies: they will soon be enduring a blazing fire!
14. But those who disobey Allāh and His Apostle and transgress His limits will
be admitted to a fire to abide therein: and they shall have a humiliating
56. Those who reject Our Signs We shall soon cast into the fire: as often as
their skins are roasted through We shall change them for fresh skins that
they may taste the penalty: for Allāh is Exalted in Power Wise.
145. The hypocrites will be in the lowest depths of the fire: no helper wilt
thou find for them.
Sūrah: 5. al-Ma’ida
40. Their wish will be to get out of the fire but never will they get out
therefrom: their penalty will be one that endures.
Sūrah: 6. al-An`aam
27. If thou couldst but see when they are confronted with the fire! They will
say: “Would that we were but sent back! then would we not reject the Signs of
our Lord but would be amongst those who believe!.
Sūrah: 9. at-Tauba
34. … And there are those who hoard gold and silver and spend it not in the
way of Allāh : announce unto them a most grievous chastisement
35. On the day when heat will be produced out of that (wealth) in the fire of
hell and with it will be branded their foreheads their flanks and their backs
“this is the (treasure) which ye buried for yourselves: taste ye then the
(treasures) ye buried!”
Sūrah: 10. Yunus
27. But those who have earned evil will have a reward of like evil: ignominy
will cover their (faces): no defender will they have from (the wrath of) Allāh:
their faces will be covered as it were with pieces from the depth of the
darkness of Night: they are Companions of the Fire: they will abide therein
Sūrah: 11. Huud
106. Those who are wretched shall be in the Fire: there will be for them
therein (nothing but) the heaving of sighs and sobs:
Sūrah: 13. al-Raʿd
5. If thou dost marvel (at their want of faith) strange is their saying: “When
we are (actually) dust shall we indeed then be in a creation renewed?” They
are those who deny their Lord! They are those round whose necks will be yokes
(of servitude): they will be Companions of the Fire who dwell therein (for
Sūrah: 14. Ibrahim
15. But they sought victory and decision (there and then) and frustration was
the lot of every powerful obstinate transgressor.
16. In front of such a one is Hell and he is given for drink boiling fetid
17. In gulps will he sip it but never well he be near swallowing it down his
throat: Death will come to him from every quarter yet will he not die: and
in front of him will be a chastisement unrelenting.
18. The parable of those who reject their Lord is that their works are as ashes
on which the wind blows furiously on a tempestuous day: No power have they
over aught that they have earned: That is the straying far (from the
21. They will all be marshaled before Allāh together: then will the weak say
to those who were arrogant, “For us, we but followed you; can you then avail us
at all against the wrath of Allāh?” They will reply, “if we had received the
guidance of Allāh, we should have given it to you; to us it makes no
difference (now) whether we rage, or bear (these torments) with patience: For ourselves there is no way of escape”
Sūrah: 15. al-Ḥijr
43. And verily Hell is the promised abode for them all!
44. To it are seven Gates: for each of those Gates is (special) class (of
Sūrah: 18. al-Kahf
29. Say “The Truth is from your Lord”: let him who will believe and let him
who will reject (it): for the wrongdoers We have prepared a Fire whose (smoke
and flames) like the wall and roof of a tent will hem them in: if they implore
relief they will be granted water like melted brass that will scald their
faces. How dreadful the drink! How uncomfortable a couch to recline on!
53. And the Sinful shall see the Fire and apprehend that they have to all
therein; no means will they find to turn away therefrom.
Sūrah: 22. al-Ḥajj
19. These two antagonists dispute with each other about their Lord: but those
who deny (their Lord) for them will be cut out a garment of Fire: over
their heads will be poured out boiling water.
20. With it will be scalded what is within their bodies as well as (their)
21. In addition there will be maces of iron (to punish) them.
22. Every time they wish to get away therefrom from anguish they will be forced
back therein and (it will be said) “Taste ye the Penalty of Burning!”
Sūrah: 23. al-Mu’minoun
103. But those whose balance is light, will be those who have lost their souls; in Hell will they abide.
104. The fire will burn their faces, and they will therein grin, with their
Sūrah: 25. al-Furqān
11. Nay they deny the Hour (of the Judgment to come): but We have prepared a
Blazing Fire for such as deny the Hour:
12. When it sees them from a place far off they will hear its fury and its
13. And when they are cast bound together into a constricted place therein they
will plead for destruction there and then!
14. “This day plead not for a single destruction: plead for destruction
15. Say: “Is that best or the eternal Garden promised to the righteous? For
them that is a reward as well as a goal (of attainment).
16. “For them there will be therein all that they wish for: they will dwell
(there) for aye: a promise to be prayed for from thy Lord.”
Sūrah: 26. ash-Shu`araa
94. “Then they will be thrown headlong into the (Fire) they and those straying
Sūrah: 27. an-Naml
90. And if any do evil their faces will be thrown headlong into the Fire: “Do
ye receive a reward other than that which ye have earned by your deeds?”
Sūrah: 32. as-Sajda
20. As to those who are rebellious and wicked their abode will be the Fire:
every time they wish to get away therefrom they will be forced thereinto and it
will be said to them: “taste ye the Penalty of the Fire the which ye were wont
to reject as false.
Sūrah: 33. al-Aḥzāb
66. The Day that their faces will be turned upside down in the Fire they will
say: “Woe to us! would that we had obeyed Allāh and obeyed the Apostle!”
Sūrah: 35. Fāṭir
36. But those who reject (Allāh) for them will be the Fire of Hell: no term
shall be determined for them so they should die nor shall its Penalty be
lightened for them: thus do We reward every ungrateful one!
Sūrah: 36. Yasin
63. This is the Hell of which ye were promised
64. Embrace ye the (fire) this day, for that ye (persistently) rejected (truth)
65. That day shall We set a seal on their mouths. But their hands will speak
to Us, and their feet bear witness, to all that they did.
Sūrah: 37. as-Saaffaat
62. Is that the better entertainment or the Tree of Zaqqum?
63. For we have truly made it (as) a trial for the wrong-doers.
64. For it is a tree that springs out of the bottom of Hell-fire
65. The shoots of its fruit-stalks are like the heads of devils
66. Truly they will eat thereof and fill their bellies therewith
67. Then on top of that they will be given a mixture made of boiling water.
68. Then shall their return be to the (Blazing) Fire.
Sūrah 38. Saad
55. Yea, such! but for the wrong-doers will be an evil place of (final) return!
56. Hell!-they will burn therein, -an evil bed (indeed, to lie on)!-
57. Yea, such!- then shall they taste it, -a boiling fluid, and a fluid dark,
murky, intensely cold!-
58. And other penalties of a similar kind, to match them!
59. Here is a troop rushing headlong with you! No welcome for them! truly,
they shall burn in the Fire!.
60. (The followers shall cry to the misleaders:) “Nay, ye (too)! No welcome for
you! It is ye who have brought us! Now evil is (this) place to stay in!”
61. They will say:” Our Lord! whoever brought this upon us, add to him a double
chastisement in the fire!”
62. and they will say: How is it with us that we see not men who we used to
number among the bad ones?
63. Did we treat them (as such) in ridicule, or have (our) eyes failed to
64. That is true, the mutual recriminations of the people of the Fire!
Sūrah: 39. az-Zumar
16. They shall have layers of fire above them and layers (of fire) below them:
with this doth Allāh warn off His servants: “O my servants! Then fear ye Me!”
71. the unbelievers will be led to Hell in groups: until, when they arrive
there, its gates will be opened. And its keepers will say, “Did not messengers come to you from among yourselves, rehearsing to you the signs (verses) of your Lord, and warning you of the Meeting of this day of yours?” The answer will be: “True: but the decree of chastisement has been proved true against the unbelievers!”
72. (To them) will be said: “enter ye the gates of Hell, to dwell therein: and
evil is (this) abode of the arrogant
Sūrah: 40. Ghāfir (al-mu’min)
47. Behold, they will dispute which each other in the Fire! The weak ones (who followed) will say to those who had been arrogant, “We but followed you: can you then take (on yourselves) from us some share of the Fire?”
48. Those who had been arrogant will say: “We are all in this (Fire)! Truly,
Allāh has judged between (His) servants!
49. Those in Fire will say to the Keepers of Hell: “pray to your Lord to
lighten us the Chastisement for a day (at least)!”
50. They will say: “did there not come to you tour messengers with clear signs?”
They will say, “yes”. They will reply, “Then pray (as ye like)! but the prayer
of those without faith is nothing but (futile wandering) in (mazes of) error!”
70. Those who reject the Book and the (revelations) with which We sent Our
messengers: But soon shall they know,-
71. When the yokes (shall be) round their necks, and the chains; they shall be
72. In the boiling fetid fluid; then in the fire shall they be burned;
73/74. Then shall it be said to them: “where are the (deities) to which ye gave
part-worship beside Allāh?” They will reply :”They have left us in the lurch:
Nay, we invoked not, of old, anything (that had real existence). “Thus does
Allāh leave the unbelievers to stray.
Sūrah 43. az-Zukhruf
74. The sinners will be in the punishment of Hell to dwell therein (for aye):
75. Nowise will the (punishment) be lightened for them, and in despair will
they be there overwhelmed.
76. Nowise shall We be unjust to them: but it is they who have been unjust
77. They will cry:”O Malik (1) would that thy Lord put an end to us!” He will
say, “Nay, but ye shall abide!
78. Verily We have brought the truth to you: But most of you have a hatred for the truth.
(1) Malik is the angel in charge of Hell
Sūrah 41. Fuṣṣilat
19. The day that the enemies of Allāh will be gathered together to the Fire,
they will be marched in ranks.
20. At length, when they reach the (fire), their hearing, their sight, and
their skins will bear witness against them, as to (all) their deeds.
21. They will say to their skins: “why bear ye witness against us?” They will
say: ” Allāh hath given us speech, -(He) Who giveth speech to everything: He created you for the first time, and unto Him were ye to return.
22. “Ye did not seek to hide yourselves, lest your hearing, your sight, and
your skins should bear witness against you! But ye did think that Allāh knew
not many of the things that ye used to do!
23. “But this thought of yours which ye did entertain concerning your Lord,
hath brought you to destruction, and (now) have ye become of those utterly
24. If then, they have patience, the Fire will be a home for them! and if they
beg for pardon, their suit shall not be granted.
Sūrah: 44. al-Dukhān
43. Verily the tree of Zaqqum
44. Will be the food of the Sinful
45. Like molten brass; it will boil in their insides
46. Like the boiling of scalding water.
47. (A voice will cry:) “Seize ye him and drag him into the midst of the
48. “Then pour over his head the Penalty of Boiling Water;
49. “Taste thou (this)! Truly wast thou Mighty full of honor!
50. “Truly this is what ye used to doubt!”
Sūrah 55. al-Raḥmān
41. (For) the sinners will be known by their Marks: And they will be seized by
their forelocks and their feet.
42. Then which of the favours of your Lord will ye deny?
43. This is the Hell which the Sinners deny:
44 In its midst and in the midst of boiling hot water will they wander round!
Sūrah 56. al-waaqi`ah
41. The Companions of the Left Hand-what will be the Companions of the Left
42. (They will be) in the midst of a fierce Blast of Fire and in Boiling Water
43. And in the shades of Black Smoke:
44. Nothing (will there be) to refresh nor to please:
51. “Then will ye truly o ye that go wrong and treat (Truth) as Falsehood!
52. “Ye will surely taste of the Tree of Zaqqum.
53. “Then will ye fill your insides therewith
54. “And drink Boiling Water on top of it:
55. “Indeed ye shall drink like diseased camels raging with thirst!
56. Such will be their entertainment on the Day of Requital!
Sūrah: 66. at-Tahreem
6. O ye who believe! save yourselves and your families from a Fire whose fuel
is Men and Stones over which are (appointed) angels stern (and) severe who
flinch not (from executing) the Commands they receive from Allāh but do
(precisely) what they are commanded.
Sūrah: 67. al-Mulk
6. For those who reject their Lord (and Cherisher) is the Penalty of Hell: and
evil is (such) the destination.
7. When they are cast therein they will hear the (terrible) drawing in of its
breath even as it blazes forth.
8. Almost bursting with fury: every time a Group is cast therein its Keepers
will ask “Did no Warner come to you?”
9. They will say: “Yes indeed: a Warner did come to us but we rejected him and said `Allāh never sent down any (Message): ye are in nothing but an
egregious delusion!’ “
10. They will further say: “Had we but listened or used our intelligence we
should not (now) be among the Companions of the Blazing Fire!”
11. They will then confess their sins: but far will be (Forgiveness) from the
Companions of the Blazing Fire!
Sūrah: 69. al-Haaqqah
25. And he that will be given his Record in his left hand will say: “Ah! would
that my record had not been given to me!
26. “And that I had never realized how my account (stood)!
27. “Ah! would that (Death) had made an end of me!
28. “Of no profit to me has been my wealth!
29. “My power has perished from me!”…
30. (The stern command will say): “Seize ye him and ibnd ye him
31. “And burn ye him in the Blazing Fire.
32. “Further make him march in a chain whereof the length is seventy cubits!
33. “This was he that would not believe in Allāh Most High
34. “And would not encourage the feeding of the indigent!
35. “So no friend hath he here this Day.
36. “Nor hath he any food except the corruption from the washing of wounds
37. “Which none do eat but those in sin.”
Sūrah: 70. al-Ma’arij
15. By no means! For it would be the Fire of Hell!
16. Plucking out (his being) right to the skull!
17. Inviting (all) such as turn their backs and turn away their faces (from the
18. And collect (wealth) and hide it (from use)!
Sūrah: 74. al-Muddaththir
26. Soon will cast him into Hell-Fire!
27. And what will explain to thee what Hell-Fire is?
28. Naught doth it permit to endure and naught doth it leave alone!
29. Darkening and changing the color of man!
30. Over it are Nineteen.
Sūrah: 75. al-Insān
4. For the unbelievers We have prepared chains, yokes, and a Blazing Fire
Sūrah: 77. al-Murṣalāt
28. Ah woe that Day to the Rejecters of Truth!
29. (It will be said:) “Depart ye to that which ye used to reject as false!
30. “Depart ye to a Shadow (of smoke ascending) in three columns
31. “(Which yields) no shade of coolness and is of no use against the fierce
32. “Indeed it throws about sparks (huge) as Forts
33. “As if there were (a string of) yellow camels (marching swiftly).”
34. Ah woe that Day to the Rejecters of Truth!
35. That will be a Day when they shall not be able to speak
36. Nor will it be open to them to put forth pleas.
Sūrah: 78. an-Nabāʾ
21. Truly Hell is as a place of ambush
22. For the transgressors a place of destination:
23. They will dwell therein for ages.
24. Nothing cool shall they tastes therein nor any drink
25. Save a boiling fluid and a fluid dark murky intensely cold
26. A fitting recompense (for them).
27. For that they used not to fear any account (for their deeds)
28. But they (impudently) treated Our Signs as false.
29. And all things have We preserved on record.
30. “So taste ye (the fruits of your deeds); for no increase shall We grant you
except in Punishment.”
Sūrah: 81. at-Takweer
12. When the Blazing Fire is kindled to fierce heat;
Sūrah: 88. al-Ghaashiya
1. Has the story reached thee of the Overwhelming (Event)?
2. Some faces that Day will be humiliated
3. Laboring (hard) weary
4. The while they enter the Blazing Fire
5. The while they are given to drink of a boiling hot spring.
6. No food will there be for them but a bitter Dhari
7. Which will neither nourish nor satisfy hunger.
Sūrah: 90. Balad
20. On them will be Fire Vaulted over (all round)
Sūrah: 101. al-Qaari`a
8. But he whose balance (of good deeds) will be (found) light
9. Will have his home in a (bottomless) pit
10. And what will explain to thee what this is
11. (It is) a Fire Blazing fiercely
Sūrah: 104. al-Humazah
1. Woe to every (kind of) scandal-monger and backbiter
2. Who pileth up wealth and layeth it by
3. Thinking that his wealth would make him last for ever
4. By no means! he will be sure to be thrown into that which breaks to pieces
5. And what will explain to thee that which breaks to pieces
6. (It is) the Fire of (the Wrath of) Allāh kindled (to a blaze)
7. The which doth mount (right) to the hearts
8. It shall be made into a vault over them
9. In columns outstretched
Acknowledgment: I am very thankful to Br. Waqar A. Khan for helping extract these verses from Yusuf Ali translation. May Allāh reward him the best of this life and of the hereafter and may He keep him away from Hell, and may He forbid his skin and bones to Hell as well as all of us.
In the name of Allāh Most Beneficent Most Merciful
II. Hell described in the Sunnah
Narrated Abū Hurayrah:
Allāh’s Apostle said, “The (Hell) Fire is surrounded by all kinds of desires
and passions, while Paradise is surrounded by all kinds of disliked
undesirable things.” [Bukharī]
Narrated Abū Hurayrah:
Allāh’s Apostle said, “The (Hell) Fire complained to its Lord saying, ‘O my
Lord! My different parts eat up each other.’ So, He allowed it to take two
breaths, one in the winter and the other in summer, and this is the reason for
the severe heat and the bitter cold you find (in weather).”[Bukharī]
Narrated Abū Hurayrah:
(that the Prophet said) “It will be said to the Hell, ‘Are you filled?’ It
will say, ‘Are there any more (to come)?’ On that Allāh will put His Foot on
it, and it will say ‘Qati! Qati! (Enough! Enough!).”[Bukharī]
Anas ibn Malik reported that Allāh’s Messenger salla Allāhu ʿalayhi wa-sallam
said that one amongst the dwellers of Hell who had led a life of ease and
plenty amongst the people of the world, would be made to dip in Fire only once on the Day of Resurrection and then it would be said to him: O, son of Ādam, did you find any comfort, did you happen to get any material blessing? He would say: By Allāh, no, my Lord. And then that person from amongst the persons of the world be brought who had led the most miserable life (in the world) from amongst the inmates of Paradise and he would be made to dip once in Paradise and it would be said to him: O, son of Ādam, did you face any hardship? Or had any distress fallen to your lot? And he would say: By Allāh, no, O my Lord,never did I face any hardship or experience any distress. [Muslim]
Abū Hurayrah reported Allāh’s Messenger, salla Allāhu ʿalayhi wa-sallam, as
saying: The Hell would be brought on that day (the Day of Judgement) with
seventy bridles and every bridle would be controlled by seventy angels.
Abū Hurayrah reported Allāh’s Messenger, salla Allāhu ʿalayhi wa-sallam, as
saying: The fire which sons of Ādam burn is only one-seventieth part of the
Fire of Hell. His companions said: By Allāh, even ordinary fire would have been enough (to burn people). Thereupon he said : It is sixty-nine parts in excess of the (heat of) fire in this world each of them being equivalent to their heat. [Muslim]
Abū Hurayrah reported : we were in the company of Allāh’s Messenger, salla
Allāhu ʿalayhi wa-sallam, that we heard a terrible sound. Thereupon Allāh’s
apostle, salla Allāhu ʿalayhi wa-sallam, said : Do you know what (sound) is
this? We said : Allāh and His Messenger know best. Thereupon he said : That
is a stone which was thrown seventy years ago in Hell and it has been
constantly slipping down and now it has reached its base. [Muslim]
Samura Ibn Jundub reported Allāh’s Messenger, salla Allāhu ʿalayhi wa-sallam, as saying : There will be some to whose ankles the fire will reach, some to whose knees, some to whose waist the fire will reach, and some to whosecollar-bone the fire will reach. [Muslim]
Narrated Al-Ahnaf ibn Qays:
While I was sitting with some people from Quraish, a man with very rough hair,clothes, and appearance came and stood in front of us, greeted us and said,”Inform those who hoard wealth, that a stone will be heated in the Hell-fire and will be put on the nipples of their breasts till it comes out from the
bones of their shoulders and then put on the bones of their shoulders till it
comes through the nipples of their breasts the stone will be moving and
hitting.” After saying that, the person retreated and sat by the side of the
pillar, I followed him and sat beside him, and I did not know who he was.
I said to him, “I think the people disliked what you had said.” He said,
“These people do not understand anything, although my friend told me.” I asked,
“Who is your friend?” He said, “The Prophet said (to me), ‘O Abū Dhar! Do you see the mountain of Uhud?’ And on that I (Abū Dhar) started looking towards the sun to judge how much remained of the day as I thought that Allāh’s Apostle wanted to send me to do something for him and I said, ‘Yes!’ He said, ‘I do not love to have gold equal to the mountain of Uhud unless I spend it all (in Allāh’s cause) except three Dinars (pounds). These people do not understand and collect worldly wealth. No, by Allāh, Neither I ask them for worldly benefits nor am I in need of their religious advice till I meet Allāh, The Honorable, The Majestic.” ‘ [Bukharī]
Narrated Abū Jamra Ad-Dabi:
I used to sit with Ibn ‘ʿAbbās in Mecca. Once I had a fever and he said (to me), “Cool your fever with Zam-zam water, for Allāh’s Apostle said: ‘It, (the Fever) is from the heat of the (Hell) Fire; so, cool it with water (or Zam-zam
Narrated Abū Hurayrah:
Allāh’s Apostle said, “Your (ordinary) fire is one of 70 parts of the (Hell)
Fire.” Someone asked, “O Allāh’s Apostle This (ordinary) fire would have been sufficient (to torture the unbelievers),” Allāh’s Apostle said, “The (Hell)
Fire has 69 parts more than the ordinary (worldly) fire, each part is as hot
as this (worldly) fire.”[Bukharī]
The Prophet said, “Allāh will say to that person of the (Hell) Fire who will
receive the least punishment, ‘If you had everything on the earth, would you
give it as a ransom to free yourself (i.e. save yourself from this Fire)?’ He
will say, ‘Yes.’ Then Allāh will say, ‘While you were in the backbone of Ādam,
I asked you much less than this, i.e. not to worship others besides Me, but
you insisted on worshipping others besides me.” [Bukharī]
Narrated Abū Said Al-Khudri:
The Prophet further said, “By Him in Whose Hands my life is, hope that you
will be one-fourth of the people of Paradise.” We shouted, “Allāhu Akbar!” He
added, “I hope that you will be one-third of the people of Paradise.” We
shouted, “Allāhu Akbar!” He said, “I hope that you will be half of the people
of Paradise.” We shouted, “Allāhu Akbar!” He further said, “You (Muslims)
(compared with non Muslims) are like a black hair in the skin of a white ox or
like a white hair in the skin of a black ox (i.e. your number is very small as
compared with theirs).”[Bukharī]
Narrated Ibn ʿAbbās:
The Prophet said, “You will be gathered (on the Day of Judgment), bare-footed, naked and not circumcised.” He then recited:–‘As We began the first creation, We shall repeat it: A Promise We have undertaken: Truly we shall do it.’ (21.104) He added, “The first to be dressed on the Day of Resurrection, will be Abraham, and some of my companions will be taken towards the left side (i.e. to the (Hell) Fire), and I will say: ‘My companions! My companions!’ It will be said: ‘They renegade from Islām after you left them.’ Then I will say
as the Pious slave of Allāh (i.e. Jesus) said. ‘And I was a witness Over them
while I dwelt amongst them. When You took me up You were the Watcher over them, And You are a witness to all things. If You punish them. They are Your slaves and if You forgive them, Verily you, only You are the All-Mighty, the All-Wise.” (5.120-121)[Bukharī]
Narrated Abū Hurayrah:
The Prophet said, “On the Day of Resurrection Abraham will meet his father
Azar whose face will be dark and covered with dust. (The Prophet Abraham will say to him): ‘Didn’t I tell you not to disobey me?’ His father will reply:
‘Today I will not disobey you.’ ‘Abraham will say: ‘O Lord! You promised me
not to disgrace me on the Day of Resurrection; and what will be more
disgraceful to me than cursing and dishonoring my father?’ Then Allāh will say (to him):’ ‘I have forbidden Paradise for the disbelievers.” Then he will be
addressed, ‘O Abraham! Look! What is underneath your feet?’ He will look and there he will see a Dhabh (an animal,) blood-stained, which will be caught by the legs and thrown in the (Hell) Fire.”[Bukharī]
Narrated Ibn ʿUmar:
If a man saw a dream during the lifetime of the Prophet he would narrate it to
the Prophet. Once I wished to see a dream and narrate it to the Prophet I was
young, unmarried, and used to sleep in the Mosque during the lifetime of the
Prophet. I dreamt that two angels took me and went away with me towards the (Hell) Fire which looked like a well with the inside walls built up, and had
two side walls like those of a well. There I saw some people in it whom I knew. I started saying, “I seek Refuge with Allāh from the (Hell) Fire, I seek
Refuge with Allāh from the (Hell) Fire.” Then another angel met the other two
and said to me, “Do not be afraid.” I narrated my dream to Hafsa who, in her
turn, narrated it to the Prophet. He said, “What an excellent man ʿAbdullāh is
if he only observes the night prayer.” (Salem, a sub-narrator said, “ʿAbdullāh
used not to sleep at night but very little hence forward.” [Bukharī]
The Prophet said, “The people will be thrown into the (Hell) Fire and it will
say: “Are there any more (to come)?’ (50.30) till Allāh puts His Foot over it
and it will say, ‘Qati! Qati! (Enough Enough!)'”[Bukharī]
Narrated Ḥarithah ibn Wahb Al-Khuzai:
I heard the Prophet saying. “May I tell you of the people of Paradise? Every
weak and poor obscure person whom the people look down upon but his oath is fulfilled by Allāh when he takes an oath to do something. And may I inform you of the people of the Hell-Fire? They are all those violent, arrogant and stubborn people.” [Bukharī]
Narrated Ibn ‘ʿAbbās:
The Prophet said: “I was shown the Hell-fire and that the majority of its
dwellers were women who were ungrateful.” It was asked, “Do they disbelieve in Allāh?” (or are they ungrateful to Allāh?) He replied, “They are ungrateful to their husbands and are ungrateful for the favors and the good (charitable deeds) done to them. If you have always been good (benevolent) to one of them and then she sees something in you (not of her liking), she will say, ‘I have never received any good from you.” [Bukharī]
Narrated Abū Hurayrah:
The Prophet said, “Whoever purposely throws himself from a mountain and kills himself will be in the (Hell) Fire falling down into it and abiding therein
perpetually forever; and whoever drinks poison and kills himself with it, he
will be carrying his poison in his hand and drinking it in the (Hell) Fire
wherein he will abide eternally forever; and whoever kills himself with an
iron weapon, will be carrying that weapon in his hand and stabibng his abdomen with it in the (Hell) Fire wherein he will abide eternally forever.” [Bukharī]
Narrated Abū Hurayrah-:
The Prophet said, “He who commits suicide by throttling shall keep on
throttling himself in the Hell Fire (forever) and he who commits suicide by
stabibng himself shall keep on stabibng himself in the Hell-Fire.” [Bukharī]
Narrated Ibn ʿAbbās:
‘Indeed, it (Hell) throws about sparks (huge) as Forts.” [Bukharī]
Narrated ‘Aid ibn Ḥātim:
The Prophet mentioned the (Hell) Fire and sought refuge (with Allāh) from it,
and turned his face to the other side. He mentioned the (Hell) Fire again and
took refuge (with Allāh) from it and turned his face to the other side.
(Sheba, the sub-narrator, said, “I have no doubt that the Prophet repeated it
twice.”) The Prophet then said, “(O people!) Save yourselves from the (Hell)
Fire even if with one half of a date fruit (given in charity), and if this is
not available, then (save yourselves) by saying a good pleasant friendly word.”
Narrated Abū Hurayrah:
The Prophet said, “The people will be gathered in three ways: (The first way
will be of) those who will wish or have a hope (for Paradise) and will have a
fear (of punishment), (The second batch will be those who will gather) riding
two on a camel or three on a camel or ten on a camel. (The third batch) the
rest of the people will be urged to gather by the Fire which will accompany
them at the time of their afternoon nap and stay with them where they will
spend the night, and will be with them in the morning wherever they may be
then, and will be with them in the afternoon wherever they may be then.”
Narrated Abū Said:
The Prophet said, “Allāh will say, ‘O Ādam!. Ādam will reply, ‘Layback and
Saʿdee (I respond to Your Calls, I am obedient to Your orders), wal Khair fi
Yadaik (and all the good is in Your Hands)!’ Then Allāh will say (to Ādam),
Bring out the people of the Fire.’ Ādam will say, ‘What (how many) are the
people of the Fire?’ Allāh will say, ‘Out of every thousand (take out)
nine-hundred and ninety-nine (persons).’ At that time children will become
hoary-headed and every pregnant female will drop her load (have an abortion) and you will see the people as if they were drunk, yet not drunk; But Allāh’s punishment will be very severe.” That news distressed the companions of the Prophet too much, and they said, “O Allāh’s Apostle! Who amongst us will be that man (the lucky one out of one-thousand who will be saved from the Fire)?” He said, “Have the good news that one-thousand will be from Gog and Magog, and the one (to be saved will be) from you.” The Prophet added, “By Him in Whose Hand my soul is, I Hope that
you (Muslims) will be one third of the people of Paradise.” On that, we
glorified and praised Allāh and said, “Allāhu Akbar.” The Prophet then said,
“By Him in Whose Hand my soul is, I hope that you will be one half of the
people of Paradise, as your (Muslims) example in comparison to the other
people (non-Muslims), is like that of a white hair on the skin of a black ox,
or a round hairless spot on the foreleg of a donkey.” [Bukharī]
Narrated ‘Aid ibn Ḥātim:
The Prophet said, “There will be none among you but will be talked to by Allāh on the Day of Resurrection, without there being an interpreter between him and Him (Allāh) . He will look and see nothing ahead of him, and then he will look (again for the second time) in front of him, and the (Hell) Fire will confront him. So, whoever among you can save himself from the Fire, should do so even with one half of a date (to give in charity).”[Bukharī]
Narrated ‘Aid ibn Ḥātim:
The Prophet said, “Protect yourself from the Fire.” He then turned his face
aside (as if he were looking at it) and said again, “Protect yourself from the
Fire,” and then turned his face aside (as if he were looking at it), and he
said so for the third time till we thought he was looking at it. He then said,
“Protect yourselves from the Fire, even if with one half of a date and he who
hasn’t got even this, (should do so) by (saying) a good, pleasant word.’
Narrated Ibn ʿUmar:
The Prophet; said, “The people of Paradise will enter Paradise, and the people of the (Hell) Fire will enter the (Hell) Fire: then a call-maker will get up
(and make an announcement) among them, ‘O the people of the (Hell) Fire! No death anymore! And O people of Paradise! No death (anymore) but Eternity.” [Bukharī]
Narrated Abū Hurayrah:
The Prophet said, ” It will be said to the people of Paradise, ‘O people of
Paradise! Eternity (for you) and no death,’ and to the people of the Fire,
‘O people of the Fire, eternity (for you) and no death!” [Bukharī]
Narrated Anas ibn Malik:
The Prophet said, “Some people will come out of the Fire after they have
received a touch of the Fire, changing their color, and they will enter
Paradise, and the people of Paradise will name them ‘Al-Jahannamiyin’ the
(Hell) Fire people.”[Bukharī]
Narrated An-Nu’man ibn Bashir:
I heard the Prophet saying, “The least punished person of the (Hell) Fire
people on the Day of Resurrection will be a man under whose arch of the feet
two smoldering embers will be placed, because of which his brain will boil
just like Al-Mirjal (copper vessel) or a Qum-qum (narrow-necked vessel) is
boiling with water.”[Bukharī]
Narrated Abū Hurayrah:
The Prophet said, “While I was sleeping, a group (of my followers were brought close to me), and when I recognized them, a man (an angel) came out from amongst (us) me and them, he said (to them), ‘Come along.’ I asked, ‘Where?’ He said, ‘To the (Hell) Fire, by Allāh’ I asked, ‘what is wrong with them’ He said, ‘They turned apostate as renegades after you left.’ Then behold! (Another) group (of my followers) were brought close to me, and when I recognized them, a man (an angel) came out from (me and them) he said (to them); Come along.’ I asked, “Where?’ He said, ‘To the (Hell) Fire, by Allāh.’ I asked, What is wrong with them?’ He said, ‘They turned apostate as renegades after you left. So I did not see anyone of them escaping except a few who were like camels without a shepherd.” [Bukharī]
Allāh’s Apostle said, “I saw Hell and its different portions were consuming
each other and saw ‘Amr dragging his intestines (in it), and he was the first
person to establish the tradition of letting animals loose (for the idols).”
I heard the Prophet saying, “The person who will have the least punishment
from amongst the Hell Fire people on the Day of Resurrection, will be a man
under whose arch of the feet a smoldering ember will be placed so that his
brain will boil because of it. “[Bukharī]
The Prophet said, “Some people who will be scorched by Hell (Fire) as a
punishment for sins they have committed, and then Allāh will admit them into
Paradise by the grant of His Mercy. These people will be called,
‘Al-JahannamiyyLin’ (the people of Hell).” [Bukharī]
Narrated Abū Hurayrah:
The Prophet said, “The part of an Izar (dress for men) which hangs below the
ankles is in the Fire.” [Bukharī]
Narrated Abū Hurayrah:
That he heard Allāh’s Apostle saying, “A slave of Allāh may utter a word
without thinking whether it is right or wrong, he may slip down in the Fire as
far away a distance equal to that between the east.” [Bukharī]
Allāh’s Apostle said,” (On the Day of Resurrection) anyone whose account will be taken will be ruined (i.e. go to Hell).” I said, “O Allāh’s Apostle! May
Allāh make me be sacrificed for you. Doesn’t Allāh say:
“Then as for him who will be given his record in his right hand, he surely will
receive an easy reckoning.?” (84.7-8) He replied, “That is only the
presentation of the accounts; but he whose record is questioned, will be
The Prophet said, “Paradise is nearer to any of you than the Shirak (leather
strap) of his shoe, and so is the (Hell) Fire. [Bukharī]
Acknowledgment: I am very thankful to Br. Waqar A. Khan for helping extract this aḤadīth from Ṣaḥiḥ al-Bukharī. May Allāh reward him the best of this life and of the hereafter and may He keep him away from Hell, and may He forbid his skin and bones to Hell as well as all of us.