A lecture mentioning several points of clarity with regards to the daʿwah of ahl al-sunnah and the daʿwah of those who oppose the sunnah. This beneficial sitting outlines the definitive matters which differentiate ahl al-sunnah and ahl al-bidʿah.
Our noble brother, Abū ʿAbdullāh Ḥasan al-Ṣumālī introduces the topic by illustrating the way of the Imāms of the salaf with regards to clarifying the belief of ahl al-sunnah vs. ahl-bidʿah. A crushing blow to the mumayyi’een who claim that refutation is fitnah,
‘The differentiation of ahl-bidʿah and ahl al-sunnah is something that the ‘ulamāʾ have done since the very beginning of time. For when you see them, writing books such as uṣūlus-sunnah of Imām Aḥmad, the intention behind authoring these books is to clarify the ʿaqīdah of ahl al-sunnah wal-jamāʿah. For example, from the uṣūlud-dīn, from tawḥīdul-ulohiyyah, tawḥīdul-asmaa’ was-sifaat. And likewise, ash-sharīʿah of Imām al-Ājurrī, again, a similar book with similar structure. And the second reason these books were authored was to clarify the difference between ahl al-sunnah and ahl-bidʿah. If you were to go and read uṣūlul-iʿtiqād of Imām al-Lālikee’ee, you would see the belief of the khawārij mentioned alongside the belief of ahl al-sunnah in regards to the one who commits a major sin… Likewise you will see mentioned, the methodology of the murji’ah that were mistaken with regards to the belief of īmān. And if you were to go to Sharḥ al-sunnah of Imām al-Barbahārī, you would see that he mentions the Khawārij and from their signs is that they rebel against the rulers, and from the belief of ahl al-sunnah is that we obey the rulers over us…”
The Signs of ahl al-sunnah in opposition to ahl-bidʿah:
- We implement the Book of Allāh and the Sunnah of the Messenger (ṣallallāhu ʿalayhi wa-sallam) in every matter
- We take and implement that which is found upon the Ṣaḥābahh (raḍī Allāhu ʿʿʿanhum )
- We busy ourselves with Tawḥīd
- We do not sit with or listen to ahl-bidʿah
- We desire to join the Jamaʿāt al-Muslimīn (upon the sunnah).
- We bring to life the sunan of Muḥammad (ṣallallāhu ʿalayhi wa-sallam).
- We do not stick blindly to any speech other than the speech of Allāh and Muḥammad (ṣallallāhu ʿalayhi wa-sallam).
- Enjoining the good and forbidding the evil
- We use hikmah in our daʿwah
- We give importance to knowledge built upon the Qurʾān and the sunnah and the athaar of the salaf and acting upon this
- tasfiyah wa-al-tarbiyah (Purification and Education)